Ask Whit: Keeping Wine Cold

by whitney on July 16, 2012

Remember the days before Google when you had to Ask Jeeves if you didn’t know the answer to a question? Am I aging myself here? Should I have just asked Jeeves that question? No! I should ask myself. Wait. What?

Introducing Ask Whit. Every Monday, I’ll answer all of your wine related questions with grace, wisdom and aplomb! Or something like that. First up:

Q: “How do I keep a bottle of wine cold? I don’t have a cooler or any ice packs!”

A: Summer is the season of chilled beverages and transporting said beverages to various locations that are not your kitchen. How do we keep all this stuff at the most drinkable of temperatures? No need to own any legit ice packs or even a cooler. Take an empty water bottle, fill it with water and throw it in the freezer. Instant, portable ice! Put your wine and your new bottle o’ ice in a water-safe bag (I love my Baggu) and you’re good to go. If you don’t have any water bottles lying around, you can use a plastic freezer storage bag instead. Easy as crap!

If you have any questions, leave me a comment here, tweet at me or hit me up on my Facebook page. Or send note by carrier pigeon. So many options!

{ 6 comments… read them below or add one }

Bryan Jackson July 16, 2012 at 1:44 pm

Whit –
You are such a little problem solver! Thank you for giving Mondays a little extra oomph. Also, I hope you end all of your answers forever with “Easy as crap!”. Please.

Sayle Milne July 16, 2012 at 2:01 pm

Whit,
Love this!!!! And I love the way you write (like you speak on the podcast- good stuff). I have a question for you. I had a wonderful but older bottle of wine that a friend brought the other night. I am not sure the bottle had been kept on its side the whole time it was stored because when I went to open it, half of the cork broke off and was still in the bottle. When this happens, when you split a cork, do you have some super-Whit-awesome way of getting the cork out without losing one little drop of vino?
Thanks!
Sayle
NYC

whitney July 16, 2012 at 2:04 pm

thanks for your question sayle! i’ll answer it next week!

whitney July 16, 2012 at 2:05 pm

well hello bryan jackson! you’re very welcome. good to have you around this part of internet town!

easy as crap,
whit
ps- it has a whole new meaning now…

Alan July 23, 2012 at 7:25 pm

Hi, what a nice site you have here, after looking through most of your material i will most certainly come back again soon. Its so pleasurable to see an informative blog compared to a lot of others that are around, keep up the good work. Many thanks.

Claudia July 25, 2012 at 1:01 pm

Wow, I never thought of this and it is a perfect solution for my RV trips. We camp a lot, picnic a lot and this frozen bottle tip will be implemented this next weekend for sure. Thanks!